Monday, January 17, 2011

DELAYED PART 2

Let me start you off with a story.   Two years ago I started planning for a trip of a life time.  With that comes long hours thinking about what could go wrong with my vehicle and fixing it before leaving and/or have the parts with me to fix it when required.  Given the fact that I am a journeymen mechanic in Canada I felt I was thinking about every possible failing point on my classic truck. Given the age of it I expected things to breakdown.  I have always had a plan and tools in place to solve the problem, allowing me drive from Canada to Panama and back again with little issue.  Was I wrong???   The problem is when you pay someone for special parts and information you expect them to be an expert.  Why wouldn't you, right!!!


So today I woke up thinking it's maintenance day as we would be hitting the road in two days.  Just a quick greasing and gearbox oil check I thought.  But just as I was finishing up out of the corner of my eye I spot a sliver of rubber extruding from the leaf spring bushing.  "Oh no thats going to take a couple hours to fix," I thought. "But its ok, I have spares."


So after two hours of jacking up the truck, removing hardware and using Land rover Special tool #1(A big bleep'n hammer) I had the bushing out of the leaf spring and I was ready to insert the spare.  





As I banged my head against the frame of the truck I realized it was 0.076" too small - I had the wrong part.  Not a big deal your thinking,  just go to the parts store and get the right one.  Thing is, the parts store I need is in Canada or England, not here in Mexico.




So I decided to go direct to the manufacture, bypassing the distributer I had dealt with in the past.  After calling Rocky Mountian Parabolics directly, I was greeted with expert advice and a quick parts order to be shipped direct to my hotel in Mexico from 6000 km's away.  I have to say its amazing to have such great service and to deal with a company that backs their products.




So the ending of the story goes like this - we get to hang around this awesome little town drinking cerveza and playing in the water for an extra five days.  Yet again, waiting for mail!







9 comments:

  1. Wow, only 5 days to get mail from 6000 km away...it takes 5 days to get across Edmonton. Justin, you look like a pro surfing in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys! Glad everything is going great! I enjoy seeing that Anna is doing so well. I wonder how much a mechanic charges there?! Canada is on snow delay right now. YOur not missing anything thats for sure. Nadine still shy to get in front of the camera? Can she surf for the camera?Check your email when you have a chance. Im going to send you some pictures of me driving the VW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you guys are anywhere near PV from Feb 2-16, let me know and we can hook up. You can stay with us if you wish.....then we can catch up on adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely - We will see you on the Feb 2nd or 3rd as at this very moment we are waiting for parts from Canada and are 20 km's from Nuevo Vallarta :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea on how much a mechanic costs (I have one travelling with me - but he's cheap!!! ha ha!) No surfing for me some of those waves knock me over at the shore, I have skinned knees to show for it!

    Only 5 day we hope but we were told shipping will cost the price of a flight down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking a little tense Justin, enjoy your time there. Things always have a way of working out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool.....I'll find out how we will go about getting in touch with each other. We should be settled by about 6pm on Feb 2......gotta land, and then go buy a couple of playpens. My mom said she was sending you guys an email....did that ever transpire? Is there anything you need.....extra parts wise, that I could bring down? I know nothing about nothing, but I'm good at picking stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know I could comment! Hmm.
    Your story made me remember the time when a leaf spring screwed us over. We were camping and the leaf spring on the tent trailer broke. Anyone else remember that?
    Anyways guys I just wanted to say hi and I'm happy your are having the experience of a lifetime! We are all jealous :)
    Praying for your safe journey every day!

    Lotsa love, Craig L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hay Craig, Its great to hear from you. Don't be jealous just come visit!!!! Just hop on a plane!! We'll pick you up at an airport!!
    Take Care - Love Justin and Nadine

    ReplyDelete